Sunday, March 16, 2008

Eating for Two: My Love-Hate Relationship with Food

Pregnancy has certainly changed this Foodie. For the last 9 weeks I've been unable to eat much food, let alone write about it in this blog. But as I transition into the second trimester - a milestone at which point I'm told all-day "morning sickness" miraculously ends - I'm hopeful I can rebuild my relationship with food. However, I fear it will take some time... because food and I have definitely been on the outs these days. Food aversions, nausea and indigestion have made foes out of many old food friends, and I dare say I haven't eaten the most well-balanced and nutritious diet in the last 3 months.

So here are my top 7 pregnancy foods in the first trimester:
(*Note: nutrition and recommended pregnancy "super foods" were not considered in the creation this list. These are merely the foods that I could actually stand to eat.)

  1. Velveeta. Never having purchased this divine processed food product pre-pregnancy, I found that for several weeks it made everything taste better - I used it melted as a dip for my saltines, as a topping for the one serving of vegetables I ate in February, and in tasty grilled cheese sandwiches.
  2. Port Salut cheese. Yum. Paired with wheat thins, it's mild flavor, soft and creamy consistency kept me coming back for more. Unfortunately, this is one of the more sophisticated foods I've eaten in the last 3 months.
  3. Cheezits. These sustained me when saltines got boring, which happened pretty quickly.
  4. Annie's White Cheddar and Macaroni. (Are you noticing a trend here??? There's no shortage of cheese-products in my diet...) Instant and easy, this was a saving grace at times of insatiable hunger (and nausea).
  5. Apples. I manage to eat one of these every day. Cripps Pink, Gala and Braeburn are the varieties of choice. One of 2 super foods to actually make this list!
  6. Milk. Thank goodness it is so nutritious.
  7. Cereal. Just about any kind will do at breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I know I'm not alone in this... what got you or your spouse through the first trimester? Share your story with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment